The tomato seedlings (I swear, I will get some pictures up!) have now spent two nights outdoors! I have the seed start tray in the house still, with a full-spectrum lightbulb over the basil and pepper sprouts. Amazingly, the Wonderlights are starting to germinate so I even have a pair of them!
I may have to come up with a better irrigation system -- that means plunking down more money on garden gadgetry (likely made of plastic) in order to conserve water.
Gardens will be planted with:
Tomatoes (35 plants in my garden, probably 12-15 in James')
Peppers (jalapeno, cayenne, ancho)
Basil (purple ruffled, genova, boxwood)
Green Beans (french, purple bush)
Mini watermelons (you never know!)
Corn (in James' garden only)
Existing plants in my garden include:
Existing plants in pots include:
- Rosemary (two varieties)
- Strawberry (this guy has lived in this pot for 3 years - it's George's strawberry, left by his parents when they left him with me)
Total costs for garden to date:
- Tomato seeds: $60
- Other seeds: $25
- Seed starter tray: $10
- Tray tags: $6
- Fiber pots: $45ish (have to check receipts)
- Soil: $15
- Labor for my garden cost $90 ($60 for James garden)
Total: $165 paid by me, $150 paid by James (though I plan to pay him the $90 for labor in my garden)
- Next steps will be to buy manure and sand to mix in with our very clayey soil.
- Plant the seedlings this weekend.