As any gardener knows - if you blink, your squash will get HUGE. My sunburst (aka pattypan) squash got to be quite ginormous. So, of course - I immediately decided to stuff them!
After reading through some recipes, I decided - you can pretty much stuff the squash with whatever you want as long as it won't be overcooked (or undercooked) by the time the squash itself is cooked to your liking.
4 Overgrown Pattypan Squash:
- use a melon baller to scoop out the seeds and pithy part, leaving about 3/4" thick squash all the way around.
- steam the squash (not necessary to steam caps), til they were just tender then removed them to a baking sheet.
Here's what I stuffed into the squash:
- sauteed garlic (3-4 cloves)
- chopped sweet onions & sweet red peppers - about 1.5 cups
- very small cut up cauliflower florets - about 2-3 cups
- squash - about 1.5 cups cocozelle cut into 1/4" bits
- "Savvy Stir-Ins" Shitake Mushroom & Herb seitan bits - about 1/2 package
- 4 cups vegetable stock, use as needed
- vegan worcestershire sauce, 2-3 Tb
- olive oil as needed
- fresh or dried herbs - I used fresh rosemary & sage
- I first softened up the garlic, onions & peppers, then added the cauliflower & squash - til they started to sweat a bit, then mixed in the Savvy Stir-ins (make sure you bust them up really well).
- Deglaze with veggie stock, turn down the heat and simmer.
- Add stock til the savvy stir-ins are soft and the veggies are where you want them - and you should get a nice rich dark sauce. You can always thicken it up with some instant gravy, arrowroot, flour or other starch.
- Fill the squash and roast for 15-20 minutes til bubbly and squash very soft.
- Serve squash on bed of couscous - prepared to your liking. I cooked my couscous with my homemade veggie stock, next time I might mix in some Ras al Hanout or some Bharat into the couscous for a little excitement. Yum!