- Kansui Dojo Chef's knife - I swear by this knife! It's quite affordable and it holds an excellent edge for a long time - it's a great all purpose vegetable/fruit knife. Go get one!
- Breville 800BLXL Blender - this blender has been one of my favorite acquisitions. I see all kinds of love lavished on the Vitamix - but so far, this blender has met all my needs.
- Cuisinart 9 cup Food Processor - bought used on E-bay, it has character but may need to be replaced in a few years.
- Williams-Sonoma Professional Multi-chopper - my friend Matt first introduced me to this gadget - then he got me one for my birthday last year. It has been very helpful at cutting up large quantities of fruit or veg in uniform pieces - great for tagines and for dehydrating.
- Excalibur 9 Tray Food Dehydrator - after building a monster of a solar dehydrator - I finally threw in the towel and got the Excalibur. I haven't looked back - it works like a dream and doesn't consume much power. The solar dehydrator is good for storing persimmons to ripen and for drying off chanterelles after I clean them.
Cookset for the Trail
- REI Campware Mess Kit - two pans (one can be a lid), cup and bowl
- spice wheel filled with salt, black pepper, chili flakes, herbs aux provence, dill, curry, etc.
- To-Go Ware utensil set
- Nalgene widemouth bottle
- stainless steel bottle
- Katadyn water filtration sport bottle
- half of a sponge with green scrubby on one side
- Drip Coffee filter holder - collapsible silicone gadget from REI & filters
- Dr Bronner's Peppermint liquid soap (4 oz refillable bottle for cleaning dishes & myself)
- MSR Pocket Rocket stove
I'm curious to experiment with alcohol burning stoves made with pepsi cans - they weigh a lot less than carrying MSR fuel and it's pretty easy to make one in case it gets confiscated in travel, and it burns a lot hotter/cheaper fuel.
Of all the gear I brought on the trail - the most dearly missed was a larger wooden spoon or spatula, even some bamboo tongs would have been nice. I didn't use the knife very much - possibly could have skipped that acquisition.