This is one of my favorite recipes - I have experimented with a few variations which I will mention below.
Chanterelle "Stroganoff" by Chef Eric Tucker
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin crescents
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1# cleaned chanterelles, sliced thin
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 2 c vegetable or mushroom stock
- 1 Tb nutritional yeast (or more, to taste)
- 1 c cashew cream (make yourself with pre-soaked cashews, drain, blend with cold water, dash of salt and squeeze of lemon til you get a cream)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt & pepper, to taste
- minced fresh dill
- lemon zest
- cooked papardelle (super easy to make yourself!)
- In a large skillet, sautee the onion in the olive oil over medium, stirring often until onion is medium caramelized.
- Add garlic & mushrooms, continue to sautee, stirring often until the mushrooms are dry.
- Add thyme & paprika, sautee 30 seconds, then deglaze with red wine.
- Add tomato paste, stock & nutritional yeast and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add cashew cream, simmer until thick.
- Taste & adjust seasoning.
- Toss the cooked papardelle with some olive oil.
- Place a portion of sauce over noodles, sprinkle with dill & lemon zest.
Make your own pasta - it's really not hard, and papardelle are wide strips that you want to cut by hand anyway. Rustic homemade noodles are divine!