This year, I got smart in terms of the puree production and used a Kitchen Aid attachment to get all the pulp out of the skins and mush - I got quite a lot of pulp: 24 cups!
So, I started putting together the plum sauce - 8 cups of puree and 3 chopped white onions, and then started scouring my blog, bookmarks and print-outs for which plum sauce recipes I consulted. I came up with very little that indicates what inspired last year's delciousness and so far, the sauce isn't turning out quite the same. I'm simmering it down now - and I may add more plum puree and adjust it a bit more.
Here's what I have so far:
- 10 c plum puree
- 3 chopped white onions
- 3 T finely minced garlic (use the garlic press)
- 3 T finely minced fresh ginger (mini-food processor)
- 3 t Chinese 5 spice
- 1 small cassia cinnamon stick
- 4-5 star anise pods (unbroken - fish them out later)
- 1 t salt
- 1 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 c Sucanat
- 1/4 c (wheat free) soy sauce