The basic premise is simple - macerate with sugar, capture the juices, simmer the juices to syrup, add berries, put in jars - voila! No pectin!
- Weigh your strawbs, add the sugar and some lemon and let it macerate in a non-reactive container - overnight in the fridge of several hours on the counter at room temperature, stirring occasionally to get the sugar mixed in and dissolved.
- Heat in a pot and bring to a simmer for a couple minutes.
- Return berries & juice to non-reactive container for a few more hours or overnight.
- Sterilize your jars - I like to wash mine in hot water and keep the in the oven at 150 on a cookie sheet.
- Strain the berries from the juice.
- Simmer the heck out of the juice until it starts turning into a syrup
- Add the berries. Mash if necessary (I sliced mine before macerating).
- Simmer again until the berries are translucent and the jam thickens.
- All usual tests for setting apply.
- Put into hot sterilized jars, seal and lick all your spatulas, spoons and fingers before washing them. OK, that last bit wsn't in the instructions but it happens.
- 3 lbs berries
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
4 - 8 oz jars strawberry jam
2 - 4 oz jars strawberry jam