Fried green tomatoes are tangy and delicious - firm and unique. You can fry up ripe tomatoes the same way, but getting unripe tomatoes is something that requires timing and perfect seasonality.
I like to make a thin batter of flour & water to dip my sliced tomatoes, and then roll them in a mix of corn flour and wheat flour, black pepper, salt and paprika - and then fry them in canola or peanut oil. These were delicious topped with Green Zebra tomato jam and with the Fig-Tomato Chutney.
So, naturally - the next day, I decided to make a sandwich out of them.
Fried Green Tomato Sandwich:
- Leftover fried green tomato slices from the fridge
- Fresh bread - poboy bread would be idea, but Semifreddi's seeded sourdough baguette and ciabatta have worked pretty well
- Harissa (roasted red pepper spread) for the bottom piece of bread
- Add tomatoes - cut to fit on the bread
- Sprinkle salt & pepper if desired
- Add fig-tomato chutney
- Add fresh arugula - cut or tear pieces so that they don't just pull out of the sandwich when you eat it
- (vegan) garlic aoili on the top piece of bread
- fold your bread and eat it!